Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Very Yongfeng Halloween - Abby

Halloween at Yongfeng was a big hit! 

Nina and I stumbled upon some Halloween costumes a few weeks ago and decided we needed to celebrate with our students.  We began making masks in art class last week from paper plates and bamboo skewers.  We collected them at the end of the period (so that they didn't all get lost over the weekend) and explained that we would give them out again on Wednesday so that we could celebrate Halloween together.  Some students took to the idea better than others. 
The first graders somehow got the impression that in order to celebrate Halloween, Nina and I were going to take them to America.  I have no idea how this happened, but no matter how many times I denied it, they continued to ask: "When are we going?  Is it true that we're going to America on Wednesday? On Wednesday, when we go to America, can I..."  Fortunately they were not too disappointed when they found out what the real plans were: Nina wore a witch hat, I had a fairy tiara and wand, and we went to each classroom after school and made them line up and wear their masks and say "Trick or Treat" and then gave each child a piece of candy. 




Adorable first graders are always a little confused. 
The second graders were really into it.  They are really into everything, which is why they might be my favorite class to teach.  They are currently really really into clapping.  I get huge rounds of applause whenever I tell them what we are making in art, show them an example of a project, or sing a song.  They are so supportive of me, always. 
Yay second graders!
The third graders were excited too, and they have a lot of energy.  Always.  On my first day of class, I showed up expecting my students to be a little shy and as soon as I entered the room all 41 of them screamed so loud I wanted to run for my life.  But they're cute. 
3rd grade!!
I don't have the fourth graders, but Nina did a great job getting them prepared for Halloween.  They were very into the Halloween spirit.  Also my fairy costume, which made all of the girls in the class say "How beautiful!" which I assume must be something they learned in third grade English. 

distributing candy to the fourth grade

distributing candy to the fourth grade
The fifth graders seemed to remember Halloween from previous years and got very creative with their masks.  When they first started taping on their skewers in weird places I tried to rein it in, but then I realized it was intentional.  So we had a couple unicorns and some glasses and... a narwhal maybe?: 
unicorn

narwhal?
But the sixth graders by far were the most knowledgeable about Halloween.  They showed up with their own costumes and knocked on Nina's door all day yelling "Trick or Treat!!"
sixth graders

6th graders

6th graders

6th graders
All in all, a success!  I've been sick recently and can't raise my voice, so this week hasn't been a lot of fun.  Seeing my students in silly masks was a nice break.  That and the round of applause my second graders gave my collage today are totally getting me through this week. 


2 comments:

  1. narwhal~ you are teaching them so well!
    they are so adorable

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, sometimes I wish I had a group of adorable children to applaud me at work!

    Is it true that you're coming to America today, Abby??? I can't wait to see you!!!!

    ReplyDelete