Life here is full of extreme emotions that fluctuate depending on how our kids decide to act in any given class. Here is an example of what a day can be like at Yongfeng, as seen through the lens of my emotional highs and lows.
Low: At 7:00, the
lovely 4th grader, Cally, banged on my door to wake me up, just to give me a
marker she forgot to hand in yesterday. Good morning! Time to get dressed so
that fewer than three of my students (and no 6th grade boys) see me in my
pajamas today. It’s always a good day when that happens.
| Cally |
High: Eating
breakfast to the cheerful sounds of the morning exercise routine.
Neutral: I spent
first and second period grading the homework that my HW monitors dropped off
this morning, as well as making sure all of my flashcards, markers, speakers,
and notes were ready for my morning classes.
High: 2nd grade
English class! We totally conquered “I like to eat, eat, eat apples and
bananas” today, even the hand motions that go along with each vowel sound. They
are just the cutest. We celebrate the end of each class with a rollercoaster
cheer. I'm sad to say that I don't have many pictures of the second graders, since I only have them once a week, but I'd like to show you their cuteness, so I'm using some of June's pictures from last year. For more awesome pictures of Yongfeng from June: http://thank9stars.tumblr.com/archive/2012/5
![]() |
| So cute! |
![]() |
| So snotty! |
![]() |
| It's hard not to love these guys. |
Low: 4th grade music. The 4th graders
cannot handle relocating to the music room for class. They seem to forget that
they’re still in class, even though there are no desks in front of them, and
their stools become multicolored. They managed to sit through and enjoy our
music appreciation mini-lesson about gamelan music. (But I swear they were more
enthralled by the KFC commercial that came before the clip than they were the gamelan. Ooo fried
chicken...) BUT, then, when I asked them to move their stools into a circle
so that we could play a game, chaos ensued. Apparently moving stools into
circles is not a life skill that my lovely 4th graders have acquired
yet. What followed was a crazy mess, no game, a full minute of class silence
before I would let them go to lunch, and a serious, private chat with one of the boys,
after class. He had refused to enter the circle, and kept trying to mess up the
minute of silence, in a horribly rude, snarky way. After our conversation, I
meant to send him to his homeroom teacher, but he started crying and told me
his mom would beat him if he missed lunch for disciplinary reasons. Oh. Okay.
We compromised that he would talk to his homeroom teacher after lunch.
High: A delicious, but rushed lunch of spinach noodles
topped with beef, carrot, and potato stew. Such a good change from our normal
routine of plain noodles and cabbage!
High: Being waved at and happily greeted by a pack of 4th
grade girls as they came back from lunch.
Low: Then they followed me into the teachers’ bathroom, and
happily waited right outside of my stall while still attempting to talk to me
because they wanted to play.
High: They were so insistent on waiting for me because they
had brought me beautiful flower bouquets from their farms/yards!
![]() |
| Today's flower yield |
| Fridays' flowers |
High: The first meeting of the Yongfeng Percussion Ensemble!
(We’re working on a name, but it took me long enough to figure out a proper way
of saying “percussion ensemble” in Chinese, so we’re sticking with this for
now.) I was a little anxious about this meeting, since it again involved
putting a bunch of 4th graders into the music room, but it went
wonderfully. (It is an audition-only group, so it’s pretty legit. It’s possible
that everyone who auditioned got in, but they don’t need to know that. They
were clearly very proud of themselves for making it into this prestigious
ensemble.) It turns out that 19 kids are much easier to deal with than 34. They
loved the clip from STOMP that I showed them and did a great job brainstorming what objects from our lives we
could use as instruments. Then, we played some group rhythm games, which were a
big hit. And they can keep a reasonably steady beat! Yay! As we headed back to
their classroom, they all kept picking up random objects and showing me what
noises they could make with them. Great success. (Except it got a bit grating
as I was attempting to set up for English class.)
Low: 4th grade English. While the 4th
graders did manage to settle down after lunch, the majority of them just
weren’t too into paying attention in class today. Even what I thought was a fun
activity of making our own flashcards and using them in a game, was a flop.
Thank goodness for Cally (my wake-up call this morning) and her loud and proud
voice when participating in class. At least she thought it was fun learning how to say “Time for breakfast! Drink some milk!” (I don’t choose the
curriculum.)
High: 6th grade science. Something about the warm
weather and science falling after gym class made the 6th graders so quiet
today! Jimmy wasn’t shouting things at random, and Paul managed to stay in his
seat! We were learning about genetic engineering in food, and I think they all
enjoyed the news articles I printed out for them about man-made meat and
oil-producing plants. And, I decided to relive the glory days of my 8th
grade research project on genetic engineering in food. During my oral
presentation, I had brought in chocolate covered strawberries, to demonstrate a
fruit that is usually quite tiny, but that humans have bred to be gigantic. I
bought big strawberries in Xi’an this weekend to demonstrate the same thing to
the 6th graders. Even without the chocolate, as soon as I opened the
Tupperware, they were cheering in excitement about the prospect of eating a
strawberry. Trying doing that with an American 6th grade class.
| Jimmy! By far my most disruptive student, but he's incredibly lovable and actually hilarious, unlike many of our other class clowns. |
Low: 4th grade science. This lesson actually went
very well! We were learning about gravity and the moon’s rotation around the
earth, so there were fun experiments to be done involving “racing gravity” to
catch things before they fall to the ground, and putting ping-pong balls or
water in a cup and swinging it around in circles, noting that the things don’t fall
out, even when the cup is upside down (like how the moon doesn’t fall on the
earth). So, everyone was having a good time. But, at one point, Nate, the
adorable boy with braces, ran out of his seat to tell me about how he needed to
sweep when class was over, and I couldn’t hold them there after class, like I
did after music class. (I had just said that we weren’t going to go outside to
play with the water in our cups until everyone handed in their ping-pong
balls.) This came after he had already asked me twice that day about when class
was over and what time it was. These are very frustrating questions to be
asked, when you’d like to think that your classes are fun and students are not
constantly waiting for them to be over. It had been a long day, and he was
breaking a lot of rules by doing that. I snapped at him, “Only I decide when
class is over, you do not get to demand things like that!” I was very
close to his face, and he is a very sensitive, adorable little child. He
cannot handle conflict well. So, he spent the rest of the period crying. I felt
like a horrible horrible person. I spent the rest of the period talking to him
about how I shouldn’t have been so mean, and apologizing, while also making
sure the other kids weren’t dumping water on each others’ heads. I’m hoping he
still doesn’t think I’m a scary monster tomorrow morning. That will break my
heart.
High: There was going to be a teachers’ meeting after school
(we’re never clear on the times or agendas of these things), but it was
cancelled. Abby and I got to have our daily sharing session, about the things
that went wrong and right in our days. I was still very shaken up about the
Nate situation, so she helped me put that in perspective.
High: Xena and Cindy came to play in my room before going
home (it was 5:30 already, by the way, and they were still at school). We
attempted to make our Slinkies walk down the stairs, with no success, unfortunately.
Then we played Trouble, with more success.
| Cindy, with her fox scarf. Such a cutie. |
| Xena! The two of them are best friends, since they don't live in Yongfeng, but in a neighboring village, and they have to get a ride home together everyday. |
High: Dinner! I always look forward to meals, however
repetitive they may be. At least tonight we had vermicelli noodles, in addition to
the usual cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, and gruel.
High: One of the other teachers at our school found an
accordion in a random pile of boxes and decided that I should have it.
High: Abby and I went on a successful quest for ice cream in
our village.
Low: My new door (the cause of the cement storm of
last week) has already broken, so it couldn’t close today. One of the bolts
somehow got bent and refused to go back in the door. One of our deans spent half an hour trying to fix it, and he managed just to jam it into the doorframe
permanently. Oh well, didn’t need that bolt anyway. At least I can close my
door.
High: Our weekly conference call with the Yongfeng team.
Low: Our internet decided to die in the middle of the call.
It’s still not back. I’m writing this in Word and will post it tomorrow
morning.
Happy Hump Day everyone! I promise to post again soon with updates about the story behind my iPhone's recovery, and also last week's puberty lesson in 6th grade science class!




Nina:
ReplyDeleteWe love the stories and seeing the faces of your students. Great blog!
Dad