Sunday, August 5, 2012

Goodbye Lincang --Nina

I am leaving Lincang and Summer Institute on Wednesday to head home for my sister's wedding! I am only leaving a couple days before everyone else, so I shouldn't miss too much. I'm very very very excited. 


Things I will not miss about Lincang:
The frightening trucks with their motors on the outside.
My "washing machine"
My "shower" that only produces cold water
My "mattress"
My "dryer" and bed combo
Other things I will not miss, but I'll spare you pictures of: cockroach slime and their other disgusting byproducts, our toilet, the contents of which were once extracted onto our bathroom/shower/laundry room floor, since someone's cell phone fell into it and clogged it. The guy who kindly left everything on the floor found chopsticks and phone cards in it, among many other lovely things. Things I will miss about Lincang: 
The beautiful purple flowers that are everywhere
The bugs with cute horns
The delicious food from the tiny noodle/dumpling place across from campus, and its cute boss who tells us what to eat every night.
The very well-planned Chinese hikes that insist on using countless stone stairs instead of natural steps
Beautiful scenery
Cute pagodas on mountains
The fact that one of the other teachers received two baby ducks as a birthday present from his students!
Hanging out with a bunch of other Americans who are doing the same things as I am for the next two years. This is a picture of one of my friend's birthday cake...after she dropped it on the floor. Still delicious! (We're desperate for baked goods here.)
My students! We had a game day on Saturday, where we played fun American games. Here are some of the girls (from left: Cam, Emma, Julia, Lucy, and Lizzy) playing the human knot game. We had to split them up by gender, since the girls and boys refused to hold each others' hands.
The boys! (Timothy, Dylan, George, and Leo)
Playing Seven Up! It's a universally crowd pleasing game amongst the elementary school and middle school set, apparently.
Other things I will miss but that I haven't gotten a chance to photograph: delicious mangoes that are juicier than peaches, birthday cake flavored Oreos with sprinkles inside, the constantly 70-something weather, and the cafe I'm currently sitting in that has wonderful Wifi and quesadillas. I'm sure I'm forgetting many things! I only have three more days with my fifth graders, and I'm definitely going to miss them more than anything else from Lincang. I hope that I've somehow had an effect on their lives, even with only three weeks as their English teacher. I know I have made them all excited about Williams' purple cow mascot, since we used a squishy one as our "hot potato" for reviewing vocabulary this week, and they were SO EXCITED. I probably won't be posting much in the next week, since I will be flying home, then very consumed by wedding activities. I'm actually spending the week after that in Vietnam, with my Williams roommate Cam! I will be sure to take good pictures throughout the next two weeks and post whenever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment